Analogy is defined as "correspondence", In such type of questions a relationship is provided and we have to identify similar relationship in the given options. This is to test how far you are able to compare and comprehend the relationship that exists between two objects, things or figures.
Eg: Carpenter : Furniture : : Mason : Wall
Carpenter makes Furniture and Mason builds a Wall.
1. Author : Book
2. Architect : Design
3. Butcher : Meat
4. Chef : Food
5. Choreographer : Ballet
6. Cobbler : Shoes
Worker and Tool Relationship:
Eg: Woodcutter : Axe : : Soldier : Gun
Axe is the tool used by a Woodcutter, likewise a Soldier uses a Gun to shoot.
1. Author : Pen
2. Astronomer : Telescope
3. Barber : Scissors
4. Butcher : Chopper
5. Blacksmith : Anvil
6. Bricklayer : Trowel
7. Carpenter : Saw
8. Cobbler : Awl
Tool and Action
Eg: Pen : Write : : Knife : Cut
Pen is used for Writing and Knife is used for Cutting.
1. Axe : Grind
2. Auger : Bore
3. Chisel : Carve
4. Gun : Shoot
5. Loudspeaker : Amplify
6. Microscope : Magnify
Directions: In each of the following questions there is a certain relation between the two given words on one side of : : and one word is given on the other side of : : while another word is to be found from the given alternatives, having the same relation with this word as the words of the given pair. Choose the correct alternative.
1. Girl : Beautiful : : Boy : ?
(1) Smart (2) Heroic (3) Courageous (4) Handsome (5) None of these
Answer:(4) 'Beautiful' describes the quality of prettiness in girls while 'Handsome' describes the quality of prettiness in boys.
2. Anatomy : Zoology : : Paediatrics : ?
(1) Chemistry (2) Medicine (3) Palaeontology (4) Mechanics (5) None of these
Answer:(2) Anatomy is a branch of Zoology. Likewise, Paediatrics is a branch of medicine.
3. Matricide : Mother : : Homicide : ?
(1) Human being (2) Children (3) Father (4) Apes (5) None of these
Answer:(1) Matricide is killing of mother, in the same way Homicide is killing of human beings.
4. Microphone : Loud : : Microscope : ?
(1) Increase (2) Investigate (3) Examine (4) Magnify (5) None of these
Answer:(4) A microphone makes sound louder and a microscope magnifies an object.
5. Line : Square : : Arc : ?
(1) Ring (2) Sphere (3) Circle (4) Ball (5) None of these
Answer:(3) First is a part of the second.
6. Meat : Vegetarian : : Liquor : ?
(1) Insane (2) Introvert (3) Teetotaller (4) Foolish (5) None of these
Answer:(3) A vegetarian never eats meat. Similarly, a teetotaller never drinks liquor.
7. Tuberculosis : Lungs : : Cataract : ?
(1) Ear (2) Throat (3) Skin (4) Eye (5) None of these
Answer: (4) Tuberculosis is a disease of the lungs. Similarly, cataract is a disease of the eye.
8. Professor : Lecture : : Doctor : ?
(1) Hospital (2) Disease (3) Medicine (4) Patient (5) None of these
Answer:(3) Professor delivers lecture to his students. Similarly, doctor gives medicine to his patients.
9. Victory : Encouragement : : Failure : ?
(1) Sadness (2) Defeat (3) Anger (4) Frustration (5) None of these
Answer:(4) Victory leads to encouragement whereas failure brings frustration.
10. Doctor : Diagnosis : : Judge : ?
(1) Court (2) Punishment (3) Lawyer (4) Judgement (5) None of these
Answer:(4) The function of a doctor is to diagnose a disease and that of a judge is to give judgement.
Directions: The following questions consist of two words that have a certain relationship between each other, followed by four lettered pairs of words. Select the lettered pair that has the same relationship as the original pair of words.
11. Restaurant : Menu
(1) Library : Catalogue (2) Journal : Newspaper (3) Book : Encyclopaedia (4) College : Account (5) None of these.
Answer:(1) Menu gives a list of the items presented in a restaurant. Calalogue gives the list of books in a library.
12. Heart : Cardiology
(1) Brain : Psychology (2) History : Histology (3) Civics : Polity (4) Fossils : Palaeontology (5) None of these.
Answer:(4) The study of heart is called cardiology. Similarly, the study of fossils is called palaeontology.
13. Soldier : Regiment
(1) Flower : Bunch (2) Drop : Ocean (3) Sailor : Crew (4) Deer : Jungle (5) None of these.
Answer:(3) A group of soldiers is called a regiment. Similarly, a group of sailors is called a crew.
14. Acoustic : Sound
(1) Mathematics : Geometry (2) Radio : Song (3) Pathology : Disease (4) Communication : Phone (5) None of these.
Answer: (3) Acoustic is the science of sounds. Similarly, pathology is the study of diseases.
15. Yen : Currency
(1) Brass : Metal (2) Hen : Poultry (3) Paper : Book (4) Karnataka : State (5) None of these.
Answer:(4) Yen is a currency. Similarly, Karnataka is a state.
16. Bird : Wings
(1) Whale : Water (2) Dog : Lungs (3) Car : Wheels (4) Pen : Paper (5) None of these.
Answer: (3) Wings help a bird to move car moves with the help of wheels.
17. Aspirin : Headache
(1) Amoeba : Dysentry (2) Acid : Burns (3) Quinine : Malaria (4) Iron : Aneamia (5) None of these.
Answer: (3) Aspirin is used to cure headache. Quinine cures Malaria
18. Sprain : Fracture
(1) Cool : Cold (2) Accident : Death (3) Pneumonia : Fever (4) Fall : Slip (5) None of these.
Answer: (1) Second is a more intensive form of the first.
19. Ampere : Current
(1) Sound : Wave (2) Speed : Time (3) Distance : Kilometre (4) Ohm : Resistance (5) None of these.
Answer:(4) Ampere is the unit of current. Similarly, ohm is the unit of resistance.
20. Muslims : Quran
(1) Hindus : Temple (2) Sikhs : Avesta (3) Christians : Christ (4) Jews : Torah (5) None of these.
Answer:(4) Quran is the holy book of Muslims. Similarly, Torah is the holy book of Jews.
Directions: In each of the following questions the first two words have a definite relationship. Choose one word out of the given four alternatives which will fill in the blank space and show the same relationship with the third word as between the first two.
21. Soap is related to Wash in the same way as Broom is related to ?
(1) Clean (2) Dust (3) Sweep (4) Floor (5) None of these
Answer: (3) Second denotes the function of the first.
22. Happiness in related to Sorrow in the same way as Comfort is related to ?
(1) Hardship (2) Rest (3) Poverty (4) Difficulty (5) None of these
Answer:(1) The given words are opposite to each other.
23. Bicycle is to Pedal as Boat is to ?
(1) Steering (2) Water (3) Oar (4) Sail (5) None of these
Answer:(3) The second is the tool which is used to move the first.
24. Hygrometer is to Humidity as Sphygmomanometer is to ?
(1) Pressure (2) Blood Pressure (3) Precipitation (4) Heartbeat (5) None of these
Answer:(2) Hydrometer is an instrument to measure Humidity. Sphygmo manometer measures Blood Pressure.
25. Drama is related to Scene in the same way as Book is related to ?
(1) Story (2) Page (3) Chapter (4) Author (5) None of these
Answer:(3) Second is a unit of the first.
You can reach us at:
Important Points in Indian Banking
Must remember banking important points for all competitive exams.
Banks and their Headquarters
All nationalized and public sector banks headquarters.
Banks and their Tag Lines
All nationalized banks with their tag lines.
Classification of Computers based on their size and ability.
Group II Materials
Group II preperation plan
Telangana Charitra for TSPSC Group II Exams.